On July 18, 2017, eight Education Policy Fellows presented their research on education policy to an interested audience at the National Conference of State Legislatures in Denver, and earned their certificates for completing this year-long program run by Peter Huidekoper.
Offered through the SPA Institute, the Colorado Education Policy Fellowship Program is part of a national program run by the Institute for Education Leadership in Washington, D.C., and is affiliated with similar programs in 12 other states. In addition to monthly learning events at SPA, the fellows spent a week in D.C. in April, meeting with national education policy makers.
This year’s Fellows included:
- Heather Furman from Charter School Growth Fund
- Andrea Helaine from CSU Global
- Joellen Kralik from National Conference of State Legislatures
- MaryGrace Longoria from Stand for Children
- Riley McIntyre from Colorado I Have A Dream Foundation
- Alyssa Rafa from Education Commission of the States
- Carol Schneider from Denver Public Schools
- Marita Whalen from West Leadership Academy.
The program is supported by the Rose Community Foundation and by the Piton Foundation. Next year’s cohort will include 10 new fellows from Colorado Department of Education, Colorado Charter School Institute, Denver Public Schools, Public Education & Business Coalition, and other organizations.