More than 100 attendees gathered in St. Cajetan’s Center on Feb. 28, 2017, for a panel discussion on the recently passed medical aid-in-dying law known as Proposition 106. This much-debated law passed by a wide majority, with approximately two-thirds of voter support.
Panelists offered differing viewpoints on this new piece of controversial legislation. Panelists included:
- Senator Michael Merrifield, State of Colorado General Assembly, District 11
- Roland Halpern, Regional Campaign and Outreach Manager, Compassion and Choices
- Candice L. Shelby, Ph.D., Professor of Philosophy, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Colorado Denver
- Father John Paul Leyba, Pastor, Holy Trinity Catholic Church
- Dr. Rohini Kanniganti, Medical Director, The Denver Hospice and Halcyon Hospice & Palliative Care
The panel was moderated by Katyie Wells, president of the Alpha Phi Sigma honorary society at the CU Denver School of Public Affairs.
Photos from the event are posted below. A video recording can be viewed on the School of Public Affairs playlist on YouTube.