Getting to Know Your SPA Professors: Pamela Medina Gutierrez

Connecting with your professors can benefit you in the classroom and beyond.  Read this series to dive deeper into the minds of our professors and get answers to some fun and interesting questions.    We asked professors to reflect on their career, advice for students, non-academic hobbies and interests.

dogWhat do you know now that you wished you knew when you were entering grad school?

There are so many additional opportunities that I wish I would have gotten involved with. Grad school is a huge commitment, obviously with a primary focus being on performing well in course work. However, student associations around campus, and especially focused in your area, can be so helpful with personal and professional growth.

ski

What is your research/teaching philosophy?

As a student, I really valued mentorship and practical application in the classroom. I make an effort to provide the same thing for my own students- trying to link textbook and academic knowledge to real life experiences, and being open to discussing individual motivations and goals in the classroom.

If you were not a professor, what would you be?

Completely outside of Public Administration, I really value the work that nurses do and would have liked to be one if I had chosen another field. Luckily, I’ve gotten to work with nurses on policy issues during my academic career and really enjoyed that.

Where have you lived outside of Colorado?

I was born in La Paz, Bolivia and migrated to the United States when I was a child. I then lived in Southern California and South Florida before moving to Colorado.

korea

What is your ideal vacation? Or where do you like to travel?

I really enjoy traveling alone. I think it gives a nice opportunity to visit places without having to worry about spending too much or too little time on things that you may not be interested in. So far, my favorite places to visit have been Denmark and Brazil. In the future, I’d like to visit more parts of Asia and explore some of the interesting culture and food outside of the western hemisphere.

Categories: Academics, Features

Tags: , ,